Friday, October 26, 2007

Former President Estrada: Free at last?

joseph ejercito estrada, former president of the philippines, erap, plunder, convicted, sandiganbayan, clemency, pardon

Yesterday, at around 4-5 in the afternoon an abrupt, and important announcement was made in the Palace of MalacaƱang where the president of the Republic of the Philippines resides. The sudden announcement aired in national television states that the former president, Joseph Ejercito Estrada, convicted of the crime plunder, was now given presidential clemency and hereby restores his civil status and his right to vote again given the fact that he will not run anymore to any electoral public office. Read news here

Presidential Clemency? Where in the so-called constitution can an ordinary citizen find that? As far as I know, the former disgraced president was removed from office by the people due to plundering the national treasury, was convicted by the court, and now what? He was free again, like an ordinary citizen! I just don't know if the executive branch really do have that absolute authority to rule over the judiciary system of the country. I'm now quite convinced that if you're a VIP in this country you can go away with anything.

I'm really not sure what to think of in this country. I just can't imagine they can do this, just to cover up the scandal brought about by the ZTE deal and the bribery of local government officials. Filthy politics rules here!

(Photo Courtesy of Hinduonet)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can understand your frustration. I can't believe it at first that PGMA will just let him go like that. It's inexplicable! But I guess maybe she's just thinking of her own political survival. But even if so, I think the move is illogical.